Photographs courtesy of Conrad Poirier
Lake Cove / Lakevale
/ Lanark / Linwood / Linwood
Station / Little River / Little
Tracadie River / Livingstone Brook / Livingstone
Cove / Lochaber / Lochaber
Lake / Loch Katrine / Lower
North Grant / Lower South River / Lower
Springfield / Lower West River
LAKE COVE, Antigonish
A cove in Tracadie Harbor, a descriptive term.
LAKEVALE, Antigonish County
A locality north of Antigonish.
Part of the Morristown district, in 1871 the
Legislature of Nova Scotia changed the names of the North and South Lakes
of Morristown to Lakevale, a descriptive term because of the low-lying
intervale land along the lakes. For a time it was called "Lakevale
Chapel" because of the Roman Catholic Chapel now St. Columba's
The first grantees were John and Allan Livingston, Mary
McIsaac, Christina McEachern, James Anderson and Donald, Ronald, John and
Angus McDonald. Settled first by Loyalist soldiers who had fought in the
American Revolutionary War and about 1800 Highland emigrants began to
arrive and bought farms from the soldiers. Among the early settlers were
Donald, Angus, Alexander and Allen MacDonald from Knoydart, Scotland: also
Donald McDonald, Hugh's son and John MacDonald of Arisaig, and Donald
Cameron of Lochaber, Scotland came out in 1801, and John Cameron a native
of the Island of Lewis, Scotland.
A. McGillivray was the postal way office keeper in 1871
and Angus McDonald was appointed in Oct. 1, 1873.
The population in 1956 was 140.
LANARK, Antigonish County
A settlement N.E. of Antigonish.
Named after the parish of Lanark in Scotland, lying
along the eastern bank of the Clyde River.
It is situated on part of the grant to Lieut. Colonel
Timothy Hierlihy and others of the regiment of the Nova Scotia Volunteers
in 1784 (See Antigonish).
LINWOOD, Antigonish County
A settlement east of Antigonish.
Known first as "Little" Tracadie because the
harbour was smaller than at "Big" Tracadie.
The name was changed to Linwood, a descriptive term by
an act of the Legislature in 1884. The village of Linwood in Renfrewshire,
Scotland, grew up around a large mill for the spinning of cotton at the
end of the 18th century.
Among the early grantees were Thomas Deloriez, John
Claud de Coast, Joseph Seculan, Charles Brazan, and Paul and John Bushee.
There are now only a few Acadian descendants in this farming area but a
larger number of Irish.
Anglicans from nearby Grosvenor, Monastery, and
Tracadie, worship at Christ Church at Linwood. Until a church was built
services were held in the school house. The Church was built on land
donated by Joseph Symonds.
Joseph Symonds was the postal way office keeper in 1871
and there was a way office at Little Tracadie in 1854.
Population in 1965 was 232.
On the C.N.R. Railway line.
LITTLE RIVER, Antigonish
See AFTON RIVER and BAYFIELD.
LITTLE TRACADIE RIVER,
A river flowing N.W. into Little Tracadie Harbour.
A brook which flows into Georges bay.
It ran through land granted to Allan, Angus, Collin,
Duncan and Mary Livingstone in 1814.
A settlement north of Antigonish and a cove on
Named for Malcom Livingston, a native of Argyllshire
[sic], Scotland, who came to Pictou in 1792 with other immigrants brought
by Simon Fraser, and who settled on Cape George about 1800. He received a
grant of land there in 1810, together with his sons John and Allan
Livingston. Charles Arbuckles also received two hundred and fifty acres.
John Livingston was postmaster in 1868 and the cove had been a postal way
office since 1863.
Colin McKenzie was the master of the school at
Livingston's Cove in 1834.
LOCHABER, Antigonish County
A settlement south west of Antigonish famed for its
Named for a mountainous district in Inverness-shire,
Scotland, from which the first settlers emigrated. About 1808, Malcolm
McMillan, Hugh McMillan, John Cameron (Red) and John Cameron (Squire)
settled near the head of Lochaber Lake in what is now called north
Lochaber and named the district in honour of their native place. In 1816
several families of Stewarts, natives of Rannoch, Scotland, settled on
what was known as the Stewart farm adjoining Malcolm MacMillan's and
raised a large family. They were joined by Archibald MacEachern and by
John Inglis or Ingles, a Lowland Scot who had been long at Musquodoboit in
Nova Scotia. These settlers were Presbyterians. The Scots were joined in
the Lochaber district by some Roman Catholic families from Ireland -
McGinley, Sears, Hannifan, Duggan, Wall, Cleney, Moore, Murphy, Martin,
Carroll, and Connors.
The Lochaber school section was first named Lochaber
East side and West Lochaber was named Lower Lochaber west side and ran
northward along the lake and included the back settlement. North Lochaber
had been named at an early date Lochaber and Glen Alpine. The school was
remodelled [sic] and reopened in 1926. There was a school at Lochaber in
1829 and in 1848 Angus Cameron was teaching thirty children at Lochaber
Glen. In 1953 four Lochaber school sections (Nos. 43, 44, 45 and 46) were
consolidated into one section named Lochaber No. 43, and Donald Henderson
was teaching 35 pupils at Lochaber Lake in 1829.
There was a postal way office at Lochaber from 1852 to
1867 and in 1868 John Sears was postmaster. There was a postal way office
at West Lochaber in 1861 and where Alexander Stewart was postmaster in
The Presbyterian settlers in the Lochaber district
built a church on the old road to the Upper South River and later a large
and well finished church near the Lake. Before there was a church building
Dr. James McGregor of Pictou paid occasional visits as did Rev. Thomas
Trotter after he came to Antigonish. The first resident pastor over the
Lochaber and Upper South River congregations was the Rev. Alexander
McGillivray who came in 1833. A new Presbyterian church at Lochaber called
Chalmers was opened in 1869 and a United Church at North Lochaber was
built about 1931, and dedicated October 4, 1931.
In 1956 the population of Lochaber was fifty-five and
the population of North Lochaber eighty.
A lake south west of Antigonish, also called College
Lake. It was discovered by Alexander Fraser about 1795 when he was moose
hunting with the Indians.
See COLLEGE LAKE
LOCH KATRINE, Antigonish
A settlement west of Guysborough on South River Lake,
named after the loch of that name in the Highlands of Scotland, which was
made famous by Sir Walter Scott's poem "The Lady of the Lake."
The first grantees about 1811 were Edward Bond, Alexander Kennedy, John
Martin and Alexander McIntosh.
A former name was "Union Centre." The school
was closed in 1952.
A Presbyterian church (now United Church of Canada) was
built here in 1869.
LOWER NORTH GRANT,
A locality north of Antigonish, lower down or nearer
the mouth of the North River.
See NORTH GRANT.
LOWER SOUTH RIVER,
A settlement east of Antigonish so called because it is
lower down the South River of Antigonish and near the mouth.
The first settlers there were John McIntosh, Big Dan
Chisholm, John Fraser, Alexander Chisholm (Cary), Roderick Grant and Rory
More Chisholm who had emigrated from Strathglass to Pictou on the ship Aurora
in 1803. In the summer of 1805 they began to make a clearing at the
Lower South River. Hugh MacDonald (Squire) opened a store in the 1820's,
in this fine farming district where four roads intersect. It is one of the
best dairy districts in Antigonish County and in 1898 had a population of
one hundred and thirty.
John McGilvrey (sic) was the schoolmaster at South
River during the 1816-1817 term. In 1821 John McCaskell was the
schoolmaster at Lower South River and in 1848 Wm. Hulbert was teaching
There was a way office in 1865 and Daniel Fraser was
the way office keeper in 1868.
There are now several restaurants and motels as it is a
popular stopping place for travellers [sic] on the Trans-Canada Highway to
The population in 1956 was 262.
A settlement S.E. of Antigonish "lower" in
the sense that it is closer or lower down the road to South River than
LOWER WEST RIVER,
A settlement west of Antigonish called thus because of
its position closer to the mouth of the West River.
See WEST RIVER.