Photographs courtesy of Conrad Poirier
Upper Afton / Upper
South River / Upper Springfield
UPPER AFTON, Antigonish
This locality is South East of Antigonish.
Formerly called Little River. It is situated further up
the river than Afton. See Afton Station.
UPPER SOUTH RIVER,
A settlement south of Antigonish, situated higher up
the South River of Antigonish than Lower South River.
Among the first settlers were Donald MacDonald who
emigrated from Moydart about 1805, Alexander McNeil (Saor), Roderick
MacPherson (Rory Mor) who emigrated from Moydart in 1802, John Cumming who
emigrated from Rannoch, Perthshire in 1803 but lived in Pictou County
before removing to South River, Duncan McGregor, also a native of Rannoch,
Miles MacMillan (Maol Moire) and Angus MacMillan of Lochaber and Dugald
Ban McPhee and John McMillan who came out from Lochaber, Scotland about
1801, William McMillan from Lochness, Inverness, Scotland, who removed
from Pictou to the south River in 1838 and Alexander Kennedy who came out
from Scotland in 1810. Among those taking up land on the west side of the
river were Donald McDonald, John McDonald, Donald McPherson, Hugh McNeil,
Michael Horahan, of Kilkenny, Ireland, Donald Ban McDonald, Donald
McMillan, Allan Cameron and Donald McPhee, Sergeant in the 79th Regiment.
In 1832 Archibald McLellan was teaching school at Upper
South River and in 1848 William McHardy, master, had 17 scholars. The
section at one time was called South River Lake and extends from Fraser's
Mills to the Guysborough border. One of the most distinguished pupils to
receiver his schooling here was Alexander Stirling MacMillan (1870-1955),
Minister of Highways from 1925 to 1927 and 1933 to 1945 and Premier of
Nova Scotia from 1940 to 1945.
It was a postal way office from 1855 to 1867 and C.A.
Cameron was post master in 1869.
This is excellent farming land along the river,
especially suited for dairying, and in 1898 there was a cheese factory
The population in 1956 was 106.
A locality S.E. of Antigonish, farther up the road from