Photographs courtesy of Norman Munroe
Back Shore / Bailey Brook / Barneys River / Barneys River Station / Bay View / Big Island / Birch Brook / Black Rock Station / Blanchard Road / Blue Mountain / Bridgeville / Broadway / Brookville / Brownsville
This settlement is located on the north side of Cape John on the north shore of Nova Scotia. It was so named because of its position on the "back shore" of the cape, using River John village as the point of reference. It sits on land granted to the Philip Marchinton in 1811, and to John Liddell a Halifax business man in 1820 in compensation for lands given for Negro settlement.
Fishing is the main industry.
This rural area is located about three miles south of Northumberland Strait Near the north-eastern end of the County. The brook was reputedly named after John Bailey who settled near its mouth about 1788. The area was so named before 1809 and at the time the spelling was "Baillies Brook." It was settled extensively by two waves of Scots from Inverness-shire. The first came in August, 1790, and in September 1791, and settled here in 1791 to 1793. The second came in 1802 and settled here in 1804 and 1805. They were mostly MacDonalds, MacGilvrays, MacKinnons, MacLeans, McDougalds, and an Alexander Smith from Mudardshire, Scotland. They all received grants of their lands in November, 1810.
A Roman Catholic Church was built in 1834.
Schools where established at the Lower Settlement in June, 1813, and at the Upper Settlement in June, 1818, and a school-house was built by February, 1818. A new school-house was built at Baileys Brook in 1882. This building burned down and was replaced by a new school under construction in 1917.
A postal way office was established in 1856.
An iron bridge was built over the brook early in 1886.
Farming is the basic industry.
Population in 1956 was 126.
Four communities share this name: Lower Barneys River, located about 4 miles east of Merigomish, Barneys River Station, located up the river on the Canadian National Railway Line and Barneys River located on the West branch along the route of old highway number four, and Middle Barneys River near Kenzieville. The river area was so named after Barnabas McGee who reputedly was the first settler in Merigomish township about 1776 or 1777. An early name was "East River of Merigomish."
The mouth of the river was the site of a major Micmac camping ground. George Morrison and Walter Murray were early settlers after McGee. Land in the Barneys River-Kenzieville area was laid out for immigrants who came to the country in 1801 and first settled on the 82nd Grant lands. Land had been cleared by Archibald Chisholm and John Forbes at Barneys Brook Gulf by 1806. A mill was erected in 1811 by William Murray at Lower Barneys River.
A Baptist church was built at Barneys River in the summer of 1874. A Presbyterian Church was erected at Lower Barneys River about 1830. It burned down and was rebuilt. Candlish Church was completed in January, 1858.
A school was built at Barneys River East in 1870.
Postal way offices were established at Barneys River in 1852 and at Lower Barneys River in 1856. A new Post Office was opened at Barneys River Station in December, 1885. Farming and lumbering are at the basic industries. The Eastern Extension Railway was built in June. 1879.
Population in 1956 was: Barneys River Station, 78, Lower Barneys River, 118.
See BARNEYS RIVER
This place name is applied locally to an area on the shore road about four miles distance from Pictou town and on the south side of Caribou Harbour in the Logan Point Area.
In 1891 the Federal Government completed a lobster hatchery here. A new school-house near the road leading to "Pictou Lodge" was opened January 13, 1949.
Fishing and farming are the basic industries.
Population in 1956 was 193.
This community is located on Merigomish Island on the north shore of Nova Scotia. The Indian name was "Kikchesebeiik", a passage close to the land or close to inshore. "Big Island" is a descriptive name. The island was granted to John Hencker in 1765 and was probably purchased by Lieut. Col. Robertson of the 82nd division about 1785 because by January, 1803, it was known as Robertsons or Robinsons Island. In late 19th century the name was gradually changed to Merigomish Island and the community became Big Island.
Settlement began here before 1806.
A postal way office was established in 1864.
Fishing and farming are the basic industries. A lobster processing factory was built at Savage Beach in 1912.
This is a rural area near the south-eastern end of Pictou County. The name is descriptive. Land in the area was granted to Ewan Stewart in 1856, John McLellan in 1868, Kenneth McDonald in 1873, Kenneth Stewart in 1890, William Cameron in 1901 and James McKay in 1901.
Farming and lumbering are the chief industries.
This station is located about two miles downstream from Sunny Brae on the East River in north central Nova Scotia. A prominent natural feature probably inspired this place name. Donald Cameron received a grant of two hundred and fifty acres of land in 1806. In 1811 Angus McQuarrie obtained a grant of the land on which he had been settled for many years before.
The Nova Scotia Steel and Coal Company railway was constructed through here about 1897.
Farming is the main industry.
This rural area is located about three miles north-west of Sutherland Lake. It was named after Col. Blanchard of Truro who cut out the road to gain access to some of his land. William Cummings was one of the early settlers. Donald and Alexander Fraser came from Scotland in 1805 and settled on Blanchards Road. They were followed by James McDonald who emigrated to Pictou in 1801 and settled here sometime later.
A postal way office was established on January 1, 1873, with Donald Ross as postmaster.
Farming and lumbering are the basic industries.
This rural area is located about three miles north of Sutherland Lake. The name is descriptive and was given by William Ross who settled here in 1818.
William Urquhart of Glen Urquhart, Scotland, settled here soon after 1815. John and Donald Munro settled in this district about 1817 and Roderick McDougald arrived in 1838.
A Presbyterian Church was built about 1834 and was sold and taken down when Welch Free Church was opened November 5, 1854. Welch Church was not completed until April 30, 1858. A new church was built in 1906.
A new school was completed in 1877.
A postal way office was established in 1848
Farming is the basic industry.
Population in 1956 was 146.
This community is situated on the upper East River about three miles south-east of Grants Lake in north central Nova Scotia. It was probably so named because of one of the principal bridges over the East River. Settlement was begun here about 1785 by Peter Grant, Donald and Samuel Cameron, James Duncan, Hugh and John McDonald, James Fraser and Robert Clark.
A Presbyterian Church was begun in September, 1892 and was opened on Christmas Day. An Anglican Church was built here about the end of the 19th century, was taken down and moved to Windsor Junction about 1838.
A school-house was opened in 1874 and was moved to another site in 1894.
A postal way office was established at Bridgeville in 1857.
Population in 1956 was 182.
This rural area is located on the East French River near the north shore of Nova Scotia. It may have been so named after the famous street in New York City or because it is located on the main thoroughfare between New Glasgow and Antigonish or after a village in England.
Donald Cameron was an early settler in 1809. He received a grant of land here in 1818. Other grantees were Donald Robertson in 1814, and William and John Smith in 1816.
By February, 1822 a school-house had been built at Upper Settlement of East River, Merigomish, and Daniel Anderson was schoolmaster. A new school was completed in 1870 at East French River. A new school was built in 1892 and was burned down in 1893. A temporary building was built to replace it in 1894.
A post office was established in 1892 with Duncan Campbell as Postmaster.
Farming is the basic industry.
Population in 1956 was 73.
This rural area is situated about three miles east of Forbes Lake in north-central Nova Scotia. Its name was probably prompted by a prominent natural feature, McLellans Brook which flows through this village.
Alexander Fraser may have been settled here by 1810. He received a 500 acre grant in 1811. A grant was made to Peter Fraser in 1814. Simon Fraser, a native of Kirkhill, Scotland, who emigrated to Nova Scotia about 1785 was settled on 300 acres on McLellans Mount by 1819 when he received a grant of land.
A postal way office was established in 1864. In May, 1878, a Post Office was set up with W. McDonald as Postmaster.
Farming is the basic industry.
This rural area is located on the south side of Merigomish Harbor on the north shore of Nova Scotia. It was named after the Brown family who where residents here in the 19th century. At one time it was considered to be part of Merigomish with settlement beginning after 1784 by members of the disbanded 82nd Regiment from the American Revolutionary War.
Farming and fishing are the basic industries.