Pictou Virtual Walking Tour
  Home
Map
Brochure
Search
PARL
Town of Pictou
Credits

Old Customs House
 

Old Customs House was built circa 1873 according to designs by Halifax architects Stirling and Dewar for the Federal Government. The building is located on what was originally a spit of land in close proximity to the major wharves. The Second Empire structure features a double fašade looking out to the harbour and in to the town. The massive building was a forceful statement made by the federal government of a young country, an indelible imprint on the townĺs streetscape. Prior to a 1956 hurricane, there was an enclosed light at the top of the tower on the harbour side.

Old Customs House

Old Customs House
Back Next
 

Home | Map | Brochure | Search | PARL | Town of Pictou | Credits