|| Two of the best-known
shipyards at River John were those of the James Kitchins (Senior and Junior)
and Archibald MacKenzie. James Kitchin Sr. began in 1845 with the building
of the "Express," a brigantine of 103 tons. By 1850 he was joined by his
son James Jr. The designer and foremen of the yard was Duncan Johnson.
His largest vessel, and the largest built in Pictou County, was the "Warrior,"
a ship of 1687 tons launched from the Kitchin yard on August 21, 1884.
In the same year, Archibald McKenzie, Kitchin's rival since 1848, built
the "Caldera," a ship of 1574 tons.(Taken from "Ships of the North Shore")
|| James Kitchin Jr.
was born at Pictou in the year 1839. The shipbuilding business (shown left)
at River John was established in 1844 by his father, James Kitchin Sr.,
who was well known and highly respected in this county and elsewhere for
many years. In the beginning the business was comparatively small, but
as time rolled on trade increased, and the resources of the country were
rapidly developed, and the shipyard of Mr. Kitchin began to assume extensive
proportions. Much of the success which attended his first efforts was due
to his business ability, industry, enterprise and perseverance. Without
these qualifications the concern would have been short-lived, and would
be known now only as a thing of the past. For nearly thirty years this
important business was under the control and management of Mr. Kitchin,
Sr. (Taken from the "Pictou County Atlas" 1972).
|| In this yard some seventy
ships were built, averaging one to three every year; and some of the most
beautiful and substantial vessels that ever floated on British and American
waters have been built here.