| The last ship
to slide down "the ways" in River John was the "Mary F. Anderson."She was
built in 1918, but during the first launch she broke stern and had to taken
to Pictou for repairs. She was launched in May 1920 and her first cargo
was a full load of lumber from Northport, Cumberland County, to France.
She made several transatlantic crossings and then she was tied up for several
years because steamships had completely taken over ocean transportation.
The "Mary F. Anderson" was dismantled in 1936.
(Taken from an article written by Paul Langille and Sheila Dwyer)