Back To Wooden Ships of River John Peter Crerar
  The "Peter Crerar" was built in 1868 by Charles MacLennan, with John McQuarrie as her master - builder. She was rigged by George Heighton. Despite the hardships described in the insurance claim filed in 1872, she survived until at least 1915, when she was recognized as having returned to Nova Scotia under a Swedish name, to transport deals to Great Britain. (from the Halifax Cronicle, July 3, 1915) 

Statement of General and Particular Average per "Peter Crerar" Allan Campbell Master bound from Beaufort SC to London: 

Sailed 9th March 1872. During the first part of the day had a fresh breeze; at midnight strong breeze with rain the latter part heavy gale and high cross seas, the vessel taking a considerable quantity of water on board and rolling and straining heavily. 

10th: Strong gale and high cross sea running making a clean breach over the vessel on all sides, the vessel rolling and straining heavily and making much water. At 8pm the gale increased with heavy rain, the wind veering and hauling very much so that they were obliged to keep the vessel off at intervals to avoid the fury of the sea and wind. At 9pm the provisions broke adrift and they lost one cask molasses; all hands attending the pumps; shipped a sea which damaged the Long Boat considerably. 

11th: The gale increasing with high cross sea making a clean breach over the vessel. The vessel labouring heavily and the leak increasing, the wind was very changeable and forced them to steer different courses to avoid the violence of the sea. It was decided to steer for Bermuda if possible for the safety of their lives and of the vessel and cargo. Shipped a sea which damaged the Long Boat. The weather moderating but still a very heavy sea running from different directions; the vessel labouring very heavily and they determined to jettison part of the cargo to lighten the vessel and accordingly they opened the Hatches and commenced throwing overboard cargo. The cargo was found to have sweated or become damp which rendered it heavier, and it had also settled very much. 

12th: Fresh breeze and cloudy, the sea rising very high. 

13th: Heavy gale with a tremendous sea shipped a heavy sea which filled the decks and started the battens off the hatches, the vessel labouring heavily and making much water; pumps very much damaged by fine phosphate; the latter part a little more moderate. Took off the Main Hatch to lighten the vessel by throwing cargo overboard but they were forced to put it on again in 10 minutes with the sea breaking over the vessel. 

14th: Light breeze and a high swell. Opened the Main Hatch and commenced to lighten the vessel by throwing cargo overboard; the cargo was very damp and heavy. The Main rigging was very slack through the straining and rolling of the vessel. 

15th: Light wind with heavy swell from Northward, the vessel still making much water, about 45 tons of cargo were altogether thrown overboard; found the vessel badly strained in several places from the tremendous rolling and straining; kept to the Southward for better weather and to put into St. thomas if possible to get the vessel in a fit state to continue the voyage. 

16th: Fresh breeze and cloudy, the crew employed setting up the Main Rigging and baling out Store room and getting things in order there, which had been greatly damaged by the water washing about during the gales. The vessel still leaking badly and the fine phosphate spoiling the pump gear very much. 

22nd: Strong breeze and cloudy weather with heavy swell. Vessel rolling and straining very much and taking much water on board. 

23rd: Vessel still leaking. At 9:30am arrived at St. Thomas. As per Protest.

 (Source unknown) 

Back To Ships Registry