Cape George Lighthouse is situated in Antigonish County,
Nova Scotia at Cape George Point which overlooks the waters of St. George’s Bay. The
present lighthouse was built in 1968 and it is the third
lighthouse built on this site. It stands approximately 360
feet above the bay and both Cape Breton and Prince Edward
Island are visible with a clear horizon.
in 1861 and set on top of a wooden house, the first light
was destroyed by fire in 1907. A second lighthouse and
keeper’s homestead complete with some farm and a vegetable
garden was constructed in 1908. The 1908 lighthouse was
rebuilt in 1968 and it is this white, concrete octagonal
structure and red octagonal lantern which stands on this
site today. This lighthouse is one of the structural
features on the Cape George route, also known locally as the
"mini Cabot trail".
development of this website was a joint project of the
Pictou-Antigonish Regional Library and the Northshore Development
Committee. June 2002. The Web site was created by
Rhynda Tudor, Jolene Shaw and Fern MacDonald.
/ History / Lens
/ Lighthouse / Location