|Lighthouse destroyed by
original Cape George Lighthouse consisted of the following characteristics
as reported in Sessions
Papers of 1875 (no.4 Vol.8.).
Iron lantern ten feet in diameter, with eight sides, glazed with
18x12 glass, six spare panes being on hand the light shows all round, and the
revolving frame has two triangular faces with three A lamps, and 12-inch
reflectors in each. There are also two spare lamps with one reflector. About 120
gallons of oil are used here yearly, and forty- seven gallons were delivered
when the light was inspected on June 20th. Three oil-tanks are supplied. The
lantern is placed on the top of the dwelling, and there is an oil-stove and
fuel-house 24x20. The buildings are in good order and new double windows have
been supplied. The lantern deck will have to be stripped and re-covered with
canvas, the materials being at the station and the work will be done next year.
Mr. David Condon was appointed keeper in 1861.
Second (1908) Lighthouse
The second Cape
George Lighthouse consisted of the following characteristics as reported in
Sessions Papers of 1909 (Vol# XLIII, no.12).
A new wooden lighthouse tower and keeper's dwelling was built at
this station in Antigonish County. The tower is octagonal in plan with sloping
sides, surmounted by an octagonal iron lantern, and is 54 feet 6 inches high
from it's base to apex of lantern. the dwelling is of framework, on concrete
foundation, and is 26 feet by 24 feet by 14 feet 4 inches high. The work was
done by contract by Mr. E. F. Munro of Westville, N.S. The contract price being
$3,097, with an additional $213.56 for necessary changes to the buildings.
lightkeeper- David Condon (1861-1898). For 29 years the Condon
family operated the Cape George Lighthouse. This included David
Condon's son W. J. Condon.
lightkeeper- Alex L. MacEachern (1898-1919). Alex MacEachern was
appointed September 8th, 1898 at a salary of $450.00 per annum.
Third lightkeeper- Charles Albert Falkenham
Fourth lightkeeper- William Clark (1952-1968)